How Important Is The H1 Header Tag For SEO?
The H1 header tag is the most important tag on any page of a website. It is used to name the topic and introduce the contents of a page. The SEO benefit of using the H1 tag is that you can add relevant keywords in them and make them as descriptive as possible.
The H1 header tag is also called the heading tag. The tags are represented with the capital letter ’H’ followed by a number. The number can be changed depending on where the tag is placed. The header tag can impact the performance of your website in the search.
The H1 tags should be unique, descriptive and have the relevant keyword. The H1 tags help to make your web page user-friendly. The other heading tags are H2, H3, H4 and more. They are used to introduce new sections in the content and add more headers and subheads to the content.
How to use the H1 tag?
If you use a Content Management System (CMS) then it will automatically create these tags and insert them based on the content you enter. If you are not using a CMS then you can add these tags manually. You just have to open the page you want to edit in the code editor and find the location where you want to add the H1 tag.
How to use the H1 tags for SEO?
The H1 tag does not directly affect SEO but it can provide indirect benefits. Therefore you should optimize your H1 tags. Adding the H1 tag to your pages can improve the user experience which can help to improve your rankings in the search results.
For example, if you are selling bicycle parts then you can add H1 tags such as ‘Bicycle Supplies’ or ‘Where to get bicycle supplies’ or ‘All about bicycle supplies and where to get them’.
When the H1 tag appears at top of the page, it will tell Google what the page is about. This will add to the likelihood that the page may rank for that query.
Adding the right H1 tags can help to reduce the bounce rate and this will help in SEO and rankings. By just adding this tag you can tell both the search engines and the visitors what your content is about.
Optimizing H1 tags
- The H1 tag should be added for every page. If you skip this tag then the visitors will be unsure about whether they are on the right page or not.
- Duplicate content is never considered good therefore make your H1 tags unique. Make the descriptive and use relevant keywords in them.
- Do not stuff keywords in the H1 tags because it may frustrate the users.
- Do not make the H1 tags too big as they may take up more of the page. You can go to the style.css file on your server and search for the H1 and reduce the font size as required.
- You can use creative H1 tags like forming them as questions or writing them down in full sentences.
- Log in to post comments