4 Common Content Mistakes to Avoid for Better Google Ranking
No focus on Scannability
1. On the web people prefer to scan content than reading each and every word. After scanning they prefer to read those parts which they found interesting or relevant to them.
2. You can make your content more scannable by using short paragraphs around 40-50 words, adding lots of subheadings, using bullet points, highlighting important words or phrases using Bold, Italic tags.
3. Adding relevant images, infographics, and tables also help to make your content more engaging and scanabble.
Lack of Planning and Missing Competitor Research
1. Content strategy for the Blog section, transaction pages like products and category pages and the home page would obviously be different.
2. Don’t forget to look at the content strategy of your competitors ranking in the top 5 for your keywords. Get some inspiration from them.
3. Come up with creative ways of adding content on your website that is also useful for the visitors.
4. Content could be in the form of FAQ, Specs, Product Reviews, product details etc.
Short form Content
1. It is proven in a number of studies that Google likes to rank long for content. So more content is definitely better.
2. Generally you should aim or 1200 to 1500 words meaningful content.
3. If you want to rank for more competitive terms, look at the top 5 websites for your keywords and then decide.
4. For transactional pages for eg. ecommerce sites, the content could be added below the product listings so that user engagement isn't impacted.
Missing keyword strategy
1. Content without proper use of your primary keywords and their variations will not help.
2. A detailed keyword research must be done before you start working on your content strategy.
3. A proper keyword research will also help you to come up with better ideas and make your content more effective.
4. You can use free tools like Google Keyword planner to do your keyword research.
5. You can also use premium tools like Ahrefs or SEMRush to quickly identify keywords that your competitors are targeting.
- Log in to post comments