15+ Internal Linking Strategies To Boost Your Ranking
An internal link connects a page on a website to another page in the same domain. The main purpose of the internal links is to aid in website navigation, describe the hierarchy and architecture of a website, pass ranking power throughout the website and pass page authority from one page to another.
Some pages of a website have more authority than the others and the links from these pages will pass more SEO value and authority to other pages. Linking to these pages may improve your rankings. There are contextual, navigational, footer and image links.
Internal link building strategies
1. Think of the visitor while adding links and will adding a link improve the user experience. Even while doing SEO you should add the links naturally keeping the visitor in mind. Use descriptive anchor texts for your internal links. You can underline or highlight the text to catch the reader’s attention.
2. Link between pages in the body of the article. Some SEO believe that links from the body copy are weighed more than the navigational or the footer links. Link deep within the structure of the site as they are considered the best and natural.
3. If you have a new post that relates to any older posts then you should get a link. If you have an old post that still gets traffic then get a link. You should link from old to new and new to old.
4. Link from pages with high authority to the pages that rank high. This helps in SEO.
5. Link from pages with high traffic to the pages that have high conversion rates.
6. Use the targeted keyword of the page you are linking to in the anchor text as this will help to increase the relevance of the page. Or you can add a related link after a paragraph linking to your article using a headline which includes the targeted keyword. Write and use relevant anchor text as the user clicks on the anchor text to find the related information.
7. The total number of links on any page should not be more than 75-100. Do not over do it. Fewer links means more authority will pass through each of these links.
8. You should find and fix all your broken internal links. Bad links are bad for user experience and SEO. Use tools like Screaming Frog or Google Search Console to find the broken links.
9. You can find internal linking opportunities by using Google’s site search operator to find related content. You can even use the WordPress plugin or tools like Ahrefs to find suitable internal links.
10. To create a lot of internal links you will need lots of internal pages and so you will have to create lots of content. One of the ways is to create blogs.
11. One of the internal linking strategies is to create topic clusters. You can create one pillar page and link to all the relevant content from there. The relevant content can be linked to each other to increase the topic authority.
12. You should plan your internal links at the start of the content creation process. Mention a topic in a piece of content and provide a link for additional information.
13. Use page-by-page interlinking analysis to help the search engine recognise the keyword focussed content. Include semantically related keywords in anchor text variations.
14. Linking the most important pages to the main page internally is a common SEO practice. The more links you add the less juice you can pass. Choose wisely and link to the most important content, rather than linking randomly to any page or content.
15. Linking with the footer will help to send link power and relevance to your pages.
Interlinking for Product Pages
1. Make sure that every sales page has a call-to-action (CTA) as it guides the visitors towards conversion.
2. Use longer breadcrumbs for subcategories and product pages to get increased rankings for the key terms due to increased internal linking and relevant anchor text. Another advantage would be that the customers will be able to navigate easily.
3. Create content guides with short summaries that explain how your products / services help the consumers at every stage of the buying process. The summaries can be blown out into articles or blogs which can be linked together. This brings SEO benefits to your website.
4. Internally link the various product pages like products within a section, different size options, complementary products or collection. This will also help in the customer journey. You can add links to similar products.
5. Add internal links from each category to the main page. This will help Google understand the targeted keyword for the main category page.
6. Link sales pages to how-to guides as this will help the customers.
7. Link to landing pages through topic and city pages. Each topic page can be linked to the specific city page which can also be linked to a landing page which is designed to capture conversions.
- Log in to post comments